Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have questions about our publishing services, costs, and processes? We’ve got quick answers here. Please feel free to browse through our FAQ categories.
1. What are the features of Publish Wholesale’s Book Cover Design service?
There are features of the book cover creation which Publish Wholesale prides itself on, including:
- Customization of all book cover projects (which includes front cover, spine, and the back cover) to reflect the content and the author’s ideas of his/her cover.
- Use of non-copyrighted images, so the client can fully own the book cover art.
- Provision of three revisions for no additional fee. Starting over with a new concept, however, is a separate cost item and is not covered in the three revision cycles.
1. What are the scope and limitations of the company’s illustration service?
Publish Wholesale provides full color or black and white original illustrations for both the cover (front and back) and the interior of various books, such as:
- Children’s books
- Serious-themed stories
- Stylish books/modern romance books
- Dark-toned horror books
- Science oriented books
Sizes of all illustrations depend on the interior size or book-cover dimensions. Our output may be in a JPEG or PDF format, depending on what the client requires. Publish Wholesale limits its Illustration service to graphic arts only. We do not create 3D artworks, traditional paintings, and animated/moving/Flash-based illustrations.
1. How does the 5,000-Word Publisher Protection work?
Below are the steps through how this feature works:
Step One: Send your manuscript
With no obligation to buy, you can send us your manuscript in Word (or Word processor equivalent) through email@example.com.
Step Two: Manuscript analysis in 2 days
Within 2 business days, we will check if your manuscript qualifies for our mechanical-level editing. If it does, we will give you the word count, the price quote, and the complete instructions on how to purchase.
Step Three: Editing of the first 5,000 words
After your purchase, we’ll edit the first 5,000 words of the manuscript based on our mechanical editing specifications and send you the output within 10 days.
Step Four: Approval
This is how you are protected: Upon receipt of the edited file, you have 15 days to decide whether you want us to continue with the editing. If you think our editing isn’t for you, just inform us and we will refund 100% of your money with absolutely no questions asked.
2. How does the Mechanical Editing service of Publish Wholesale differ from other editing services offered worldwide?
Good mechanical editing typically adds $600 to $1,500 to the cost of publishing a book—quickly moving the cost of prepress production into the stratosphere. It’s too much. Our Mechanical Editing service is quite sophisticated—and $350 is a more typical cost.
Moreover, our editors are experts in using The Chicago Manual of Style guide and performing detailed and comprehensive copyediting to check the manuscript’s structural consistency and accuracy. Summarized below are 18 categories of editing which our editors follow:
a. Correcting spelling errors:
- Basic spelling errors
- Errors involving similar spelling or sound alike:
- “there,” “their,” and “they’re”
- “affect” and “effect”
- “two,” “too,”
- “it’s” and “its”
- Errors in both singular and plural possessives
b. Punctuation errors:
- En dashes and em dashes
- Quotation marks
c. Grammar errors:
- Subject and verb usage
- Tense problems
- Plural and singular problems
- Basic word, sentence, and paragraph syntax
- Run-on sentences and sentence fragments
d. Changes in word choice
- Overused words
- Clearer word choices
- Pointing out offensive words
1. What are the key features of the Page Design that sets this service apart from other providers?
For over a decade, Publish Wholesale utilizes the most efficient and cost-effective page design processes in the industry. Our service is geared to combine:
- Extremely disciplined rule sets for consistency, error-checking, and accuracy of specifications per book;
- Best practices at each step of formatting to decrease time consumption, the revision drafts necessary, and the number of problems that needed immediate attention;
- Highest level of problem resolution and file management with each issue, concern, and decisive action—plus the project tracking—collected in one folder for easier data access, communication, and review.
Moreover, members of our Page Design team follows standard formatting guidelines, but they can also provide custom page design, as per client request. They are experts of various page layout softwares, which include Adobe Creative Suite (CS), MS Word, Quark Xpress, and Scribus, and they often collaborate to meet the high demands of every project.
1. What are the areas covered by the High-Level Manuscript Review (HLMR) service?
Our HLMR service is designed to spot both serious and minor technical issues in the manuscript before it is submitted to the editor or publisher. To ensure a thorough review, the service is divided into four major sections:
- Manuscript Review – contains a brief summary of the manuscript.
- Mechanical Editing Analysis – includes a thorough assessment of the manuscript’s structure (grammar, spelling, punctuation marks, sentence structure, etc.)
- Substantive Analysis – contains the evaluation of the context, focusing on elements significant to the story, such as setting, plot, characters, dialogue, and resolution.
- Summary – provides overall assessment of the manuscript as well as recommendations.
1. How does the Test Book feature for eBook conversion work?
The process for this service is summarized as follows:
Step One: Filling up of necessary forms and delivery of input files
Once you sign up for our Test Book service, we will send you an ebook order form. Once you have filled out the order form, send it back to us via e-mail through firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a press-ready PDF of your manuscript or book interior and cover (front/back/spine) . You must also secure a one-time $100 nominal fee through our preferred modes of payment (using debit/credit card or through PayPal).
Step Two: Evaluation of input and forms
We will check if your PDFs are press ready and if the forms are correctly filled out. If the PDFs are not properly formatted, we can do what is necessary to do so, but this will be a separate service. Otherwise, we will proceed to Step Three.
Step Three: Creation of ePub format
Within 8 to 13 business days after the evaluation process, we will carefully create the ePub version of your ebook.
Step Four: Review and Approval
We’ll then send you the ePub format along with instructions on how to download a free ebook viewer. If you have corrections, you may let us know via email and we’ll address everything before proceeding to Step Five. During this process, corrections or revisions that may be considered “rewriting of the book” is not allowed. If a rewrite is absolutely necessary, it will be charged separately.
Step Five: Creation of other eBook formats
Once you approve the ePub version of your ebook, we will create the other formats within 4 or 5 business days, and send you all ebook versions of your title for review and upload.
2. How can the clients review the ebook files from the Test Book service?
The best way to view the ePub version of your ebook is to load it into your own ebook reader (iPad, Nook, Kobo, or Sony eReader) if you have one. NOTE: ePub does not work on Kindle devices. Once the ePub version is approved, we will create a version of your ebook compatible with Kindle ereaders.
- Sony ebook library software (http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/)
- Adobe Digital Editions software (http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions)
- B&N Nook software (Download at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/free-nook-apps/379002321 for PC version and
at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/download-reader.asp?dltab=mac for MAC)
1. What is EDAPT™?
Ebook Distribution Adaptive Priority Technique or EDAPT™ is the system used by Publish Wholesale to effectively bring ebooks to the attention of the buying public. With EDAPT™, ebooks are distributed to some of the biggest marketplaces, including Apple, Amazon, Sony, Barnes and Noble, and Kobo.
2. What happens during EDAPT Distribution?
After we distribute your titles to ebook store libraries and websites, it will take a few days before your title goes live and for sale, depending on the online retailer it is sent to. The average time lapse for each major ebook device is summarized as follows:
All time in business days (M-F)
The percentage of royalties that every Publish Wholesale client will receive from gross revenue sales of ebook on each device or website is as follows:
After the distribution process, clients will be given a unique password-enabled account to our EDAPT Client Console, where they can access sales and royalty reports 24/7. Update of these reports, together with royalty payments; vary among the ebook store providers, as shown in the guideline table below.
* Our system will be updated every 30 days. The update frequency of each retailer varies.
3. What is the EDAPT™ Client Console?
EDAPT™ Client Console is the actual software that provides ebook sales and royalty reports (through its Analytics Details page). These data are downloadable in Excel, PDF, or CSV formats.
4. Are there help files for the EDAPT Client Console? Where is it located?
There are help guides on how to use the client console in PowerPoint and Word formats. Currently, the guide is only available to clients who have purchased the EDAPT Distribution service.
5. What is the role of Isolation Network in the creation of EDAPT™?
Publish Wholesale was the very first multi-publisher ebook distribution aggregator for INgrooves and INscribe, two divisions of Isolation Network (“IN”), through which it provides media distribution and enterprise software solutions. The partnership between Publish Wholesale and Isolation Network has resulted in the existence of one of the company’s proudest creations—the EDAPT™ system
6. How much does Publish Wholesale charge for using EDAPT?
A $25 payment per ebook title is collected for the set up of account and upload processing. Publish Wholesale also takes a portion of revenue from sales of a title before royalties are paid.
DOES PUBLISH WHOLESALE CATER TO ALL AUTHORS?
Publish Wholesale considers authors who choose the self-publishing route and seek help for their book's production and promotion.